If you plan to drop your child off during the school year, it's important that you follow some simple guidelines to help keep all of our community safe. Patience and Consideration should be used at all times in our parking lot and will go a long way to ease any tensions that may arise during this time.
- Over 200 students are dropped off by their parents each morning between 8:20am and 8:40am.
- Our School Buses use the same parking lot
- There is only one parking lot entrance from Elms Road and one Exit from our parking lot to Elms Road
- If arriving prior to 8:20, park in a regular parking spot or park near the curb starting back by the dumpsters
- Stay in a single file line
- Plan to have your student(s) get out by themselves on the passenger side of the car only (we will have staff waiting to assist).
- Watch for buses and other cars pulling through and provide them the right of way
- Drop off your child as soon as you come to a stop on our curb anywhere past our dumpsters (staff will assist).
- Leave the parking lot as soon as your child is out of the car
- Model Calm and Patience to your children and others
- Call the school office and inform us of any major parking lot issues so we can deal with it appropriately.
- Don't pull up to the front entrance curb prior to 8:20. This blocks the buses from pulling in to their required spots.
- Don't get out of your car while in the drop-off line. (staff can assist your child)
- Don't wait for your child to walk all the way to the door of the school, please keep the traffic flow moving.
- Don't allow your child to get out of the driver's side of the vehicle.
Using these simple guidelines will go a long way to ensuring a relatively smooth experience for our entire school community on a regular basis. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.
If you plan to pick up your student(s) in the afternoon you have 2 options. Our pick-up line will provide the safest, most efficient method, but if you prefer, you can park in our main lot or in the lot to the north of the building and meet your child at the entrance. Please read the bullet points below carefully and study the graphic below so you can be fully aware of how our process works. If you haven't regularly picked up your child and didn't receive an assigned number for your student, please call our office to request one and we'll gladly get it made up for you (591-1249).
Benefits of using the pick-up line:
- Lessen congestion/confusion at pick-up time - We know there are a number of issues with our parking lot. Many people just do what they think seems sensible at the time. This often creates extra back-ups for many other people and fuels frustration as the year wears on.
- Increase Safety for students and parents - If we all work together and abide by established standards in the parking lot, we can all remain safe. Please remember, although you may be in a hurry, patience is required of all of us at this busy time of day.
- Maximize Efficiency - Our biggest problem is that we only have one entrance and one exit to Elms Road from our parking lot. Because of this, the mad scramble to get out of the lot in the afternoon will always be difficult. However, with an organized pick-up line, we can start sending cars out of the lot up to 5 minutes earlier than we currently do. This greatly reduces the back-ups we've experienced in the past.
How It Works:
1. The parent pick-up line works much like the fast food drive-thru at our local McDonalds. Parents will line up in their cars parallel to our buses in two rows. (See Graphic Below)
2. Each Parent will display their assigned number (get this from our office) on the dashboard of the car so our staff can alert one another of the order in which to send your student out.
3. All students being picked up will be gathered inside the school and will be sent out by our staff members in the order in which their ride is lined up outside.
4. The front two vehicles in each row will be motioned ahead to the loading zone which will be at the front of the bus line (Near our 4th/5th grade wing)
5. Students will be assisted into their vehicles by our staff. Parents using the pick-up line will be asked to STAY IN their vehicles at all times. Once loaded, vehicles may proceed and exit the parking lot.
You’d like to park and meeting your child on the sidewalk or at the front door of the school?
You can still park and meet your kids if you wish, however, please look at the enclosed graphic to see where NOT to park. In order for our system to work, we need to keep part of the Main lot clear and will be slightly moving where our handicap parking is, so please watch for the new markings. Also, if you park in the main parking lot, we will need you to use the pedestrian crosswalk and wait for our crossing guard to motion you across.
Parents who prefer to use the overflow parking to the north of our building may continue to do so as this does not interfere with the new pick-up process.